Friday, October 8, 2010

Creation


It's rough. It's unfinished. But it's a start.

I am taking a beginner metalsmithing course in fabrication. We start with a piece of sheet metal and saw it, hammer it, texture it, shape it, solder it, rivet it, file it, polish it, buff it and make something useful from it. It has been a wonderful new experience for me so far. My first project, a small copper box, is still a work in progress. As you can see from the photo, it's not the prettiest object you could lay eyes on. But to me, it's beautiful. I still need to rivet the lid pieces together and then create a hinge for the lid and attach it to the box. Before all that, I need to file it more and then polish it up. The solder is not especially tidy, but, hey, it's my first soldering experience. I'm just thrilled I soldered successfully! I am learning a lot and, in time, hopefully my abilities will grow. Every class scares me a little bit and humbles me a lot. Learning new things is challenging, often intimidating. But it's good to do things that scare you sometimes, make a few new synaptic connections, gain some experience and WAKE UP your brain! I'm lovin' it.
"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."- Auguste Rodin
"Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned."- Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment