Sunday, July 5, 2009

Discovery


I have made a fun discovery. I have a wonderful collection of vintage postcards that I inherited from my father. Most of them were actually mailed and have written messages on them. I just realized that several of them are actually little secret love notes sent between my grandparents, including mysterious secret codes that I cannot decipher (yet). What a serendipitous find! Most of these are dated from the very early 1900's. The one pictured in this post was sent from my grandfather to my grandmother, before they were married. The message on the back includes a charming and undoubtedly daring (for its day) little poem, written in my grandfather's own quirky handwriting: "Crackers are dry without cheese/ So is a kiss without a squeeze." Oooooo, so racy! I have never stopped to think about how these two individuals, my grandparents, originated their relationship. I barely remember my grandmother, who died when I was 12. My grandfather died when I was a baby, so I never really knew him. I've seen lots of pictures, naturally. But finding these cards and the long-ago sentiments inscribed upon them really brings these people to life in a sense. Without them and their love, I would not be here. This particular card is from 1908, originally sent over 100 years ago. Wow.

"Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own."- Robert Heinlein

"You don't have to go looking for love when it's where you come from."- Werner Erhard

1 comment:

  1. ...racy...saucey...young...sweet...sexy...hot...vintage...new...rekindled...

    ...LoVe...

    is a wonderful thing...

    ReplyDelete