Saturday, May 16, 2009

Vintage


My father was a collector. He enjoyed the details of items, the history of them. He collected many things: books, record albums, stamps, coins and postcards. I have most of his collections intact. I love to look through them and try to piece together what made my dad 'tick'. Today I was looking through his old postcard collection. Wow. Most of them are dated from the early part of the 20th century through World War II. They are fascinating to study. The artwork on the cards is simply lovely. Many of them were actually mailed from locations around the world to various members of my father's family. He was a magpie as a boy, who must have begged for these cards from his relatives. The postcard pictured in the photo is dated November 29, 1944. It was sent to my dad's older sister by a soldier that she knew. The French caption on the front translates as, "Our love knows no boundary!". What a sweet sentiment. I think the cartoon is utterly charming. I am equally charmed by the personal message on the flip side. It is not what I would consider romantic, but quite warm and friendly in nature. Maybe the man was shy or uncertain of his relationship with the lady recipient, my aunt. Or maybe he just had a fun sense of humor and thought she would enjoy the picture. Either way, it is a tiny window into someones life from a long time ago. I wonder about how the sender's life progressed. I'm glad I got a chance to peer into it. I'll share more postcards with you in the future. There are so many interesting ones to see!
"In youth we run into difficulties; in old age difficulties run into us."- Josh Billings
"Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be."- Robert Browning

2 comments:

  1. Life was just sweeter and better back then, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it was undoubtedly simpler in many ways; and the older I get, the sweeter simplicity seems!

    ReplyDelete