Friday, May 8, 2009

Culmination


I am amazed at what can be accomplished when a deadline looms before my eyes. Does this mean I work best under pressure? Perhaps. I know that a deadline gives me a sense of purpose; and a sense of purpose spurs my production level. My inspiration is stirred when I KNOW that I must complete a project within a given timeframe. The only thing that freezes my blood to ice is when I am being hounded to completion. In that case, inspiration flees my mind, to huddle in dark corners. I cannot lure it out unless I leave it alone for a time, make it crave to be wandering free once again. Knowing this about myself forces me to plan must-do projects accordingly. A little pressure is not undesirable, so long as it does not morph into a pushy monster that destroys my creative joy.

Today I completed the lovely trio of necklaces arrayed so fetchingly in the accompanying photo. I adore all three of them and hope the new owners of them will feel the same affection for them. These necklaces are intended as gifts for teachers at my child's school. The designs simply flowed from my imagination like water. They are basically simple and straightforward in their complexity; but I am quite satisfied with them. I especially love the faceted pearl design on the left. The lampwork focal bead is my own and sparked the color combo for this piece. I think it has a Bollywood flavor- love it! Today's deadline made me feel happy with my art, even motivating me to follow through on some non-art related work. How cool is that?

"A goal is a dream with a deadline."- Napoleon Hill
"All you have to do is know where you're going. The answers will come to you of their own accord."- Earl Nightingale
"Nothing encourages creativity like the chance to fall flat on one's face."- James D. Finley
"The little dissatisfaction which every artist feels at the completion of a work forms the germ of a new work."- Berthold Auerbach

2 comments:

  1. Those are gorgeous, MoonKatty! The other teachers will be jealous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm a bit jealous myself.

    ReplyDelete