Monday, April 6, 2009

Receptacle



A journal is a storage container for the soul. In times past, I never kept a diary. I feared recording my innermost thoughts because I feared discovery. It is intimidating to reveal yourself. Of course, the term "diary" carries with it the implication of privacy. I imagine a little book under lock and key in my mind's eye. The term "journal", on the other hand, implies a more public display. I have recently immersed myself in a colorful form of journaling, specifically, art journaling. I am amazed at how creatively stimulating it is. My mind is brimming with inspiration every time I make an entry in my journal. I awaken ideas for bead and jewelry designs, poems, paintings, even blog posts! I learn to put things together in unexpected ways. An art journal is a factory for inspiration generation and spirit re-generation. Art journaling is surprisingly therapeutic. I highly recommend beginning your own art journal. Don't tell yourself, "I can't draw!" or "I have nothing important to say". Everyone can draw; you used to do it all the time when you were a kid. It's not a contest and doesn't have to be perfect. Even if you only draw abstract forms, the colors and shapes you choose reveal much regarding your moods. And as for what to say: if you don't know where to start, there are a number of websites that have prompts to get your mental juices flowing. Who knows where journaling may lead you? In the meantime, enjoy the process.


"Memory… is the diary that we all carry about with us."- Oscar Wilde


"Every man's memory is his private literature."- Aldous Huxley


"There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." - Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith



No comments:

Post a Comment