Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Singular


Custom orders stimulate my imagination, especially when I know the person I am creating a piece for. I like nothing better than to receive a jewelry or bead custom order that is built around a specific color combination or style. If I know the customer personally, I think about who they are, what they love, their clothes, whether they are introverted or extroverted, quiet or animated. All of these factors influence what I ultimately create. If I do not know the customer, things get a bit more challenging. Then I have to do a bit of sleuthing to determine a design direction. Ask questions, talk to people who are close to the client. To be successful at custom work, I think you need to be in tune to people to some degree. As an artist, you definitely desire to be free to create what inspires you. To do custom work, though, requires you sacrifice some of your own desires to consider exactly what the client enjoys and then interpret that using you own artistic style. To me, this is the ultimate test as an artist. I love it, though sometimes I miss the mark and need to start over again. It keeps me humble.
Lately, I have been doing a great deal of custom work with a twist: remodeling old jewelry pieces. It seems like a form of recycling, in a way, getting those neglected old pieces of jewelry in your collection out and finding a way to rework them into something wonderful! So, please feel free to contact me if you feel a jewelry renovation is in order. Or if only something new is the answer, you know what to do!
(The bracelet in photo is available in my Artfire shop.)

"Jewelry takes people's minds off your wrinkles."- Sonja Henie

"These gems have life in them: their colors speak, say what words fail of."- George Eliot

2 comments:

  1. Lovely bracelet, such a nice mix of colors and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete