Friday, March 6, 2009

Chaos


LEGOS as far as the eye can see, underfoot, everywhere! That is my living room at present. I can hardly complain. My studio bears a strong resemblance to this LEGO scene. I am inclined to orderliness in my world. I actually enjoy having a place for everything and everything in it's place. So why, WHY is my workspace so disorderly? Some people work best in a tidy space. Having things in order helps them to peacefully focus on the task at hand, without distraction. Others need a modicum of disorder in order to see the possibilities, in order to picture the options. But there are a few artists who get ideas from complete chaos. Their imagination is sparked by seeing colors randomly thrown together in unexpected combinations, shapes playing off of each other, stirring an unexpected response. In my studio, I usually begin with harmony which quickly converts to visual dissonance. Or is it really dissonance? Isn't the creative process almost always a bit untidy? What happens when we make a lasagna for dinner, or any food, for that matter? We are washing dishes for hours afterward. But when we sink our teeth in that stellar home-cooked meal, we realize that the mess was worth it. Women who have given birth know that it is a messy business. But what an incredible result. Look at all creative efforts in the same way. We can always clean up later.


"Beginnings are always messy."- John Galsworthy

No comments:

Post a Comment