Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Atmospheric


I am working on a new series of focal beads that I refer to as "Atmospheric". I get so excited when I work on one of these beads! They always make me think of intense weather brewing overhead, thus the name. I love a good storm! An early memory of mine is being home alone when I was about 7 years old. It was a dark and stormy night, really. My mom had left me there alone because my brother had injured himself and had to be taken to the hospital. Mom wanted me to inform my father about the happenings (no cell phones in those days). So, I waited for my dad while a wild Texas thunderstorm raged outside. The power went out. I was totally freakin'. Finally, Dad's key turned in the door. Never have I been so happy to see anyone! I was crying, shaking and twitchy. But I made it through. And, strangely, ever since that night, I LOVE thunderstorms. The wilder, the better. Go figure.

Back to the beads: every one is unique with organic patterning and lots of interesting reactions in the glass. One of the glasses used in these beads is called Anice White. It causes a curdled look to appear in the glass, like curdled milk, minus the smell. Thank goodness!

The patterning in these beads comes from allowing the many layers and colors of glass to melt into a great big goopy glob and then using gravity to move the glass around until thoroughly swirled. That is my layman's description of the creation process! Hey, I'm an artist, not a scientist.

These beads look a lot like stones. I often have people ask me what type of stone they are. I think they are perfect for a masculine jewelry design, as well as any very organic, natural pieces. These will be a regular feature in my Etsy bead store. I make at least one whenever I sit down at my torch! So irresistible to make.

"True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist."- Albert Einstein

"Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm."- Unknown
(Bead pictured in post is available in my Etsy shop.)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Val! By the way, I took a peek at your blog- very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning bead. I am quite drawn to its complexity and colors.

    ReplyDelete